Monday, April 20, 2009

Ardennes Week

Hectic hectic week and its only Monday. Yesterday I needed to be at work at five thirty, with an hour and a bit commute I'll leave the calculation of what time I had to be up in order to get there. So no ride in but I managed to get away from work for earlier because I had come in at the crack of dawn. So there were advantages and disadvantages. The major advantage was that I managed to watch the first of the Classics this week, the Amstel Gold. This was a two for the price of one day as Eurosport has been broadcasting the Tour of Tumbles(Turkey) the whole week. What a crazy race with some serious questions asked about Bos in the end. Just watch the video of the closing kilometers and tell me what you think about the pull down?

Today I went up to Misgav for training and after a week out due to technical issues I was unprepared for the torture I went through today. We started with a decent warm up that would be seriously needed for what I ended up calling "Pukers". I should just stop here and let your imagination wander but the pain of those short eight second intervals are just too good not to share. We need to be in a heavier gear and had a short but technical hill that we had to sprint up. these were brutal as your body does not realise what the hell is going on and you're already finished gagging for breath. How I love this sport. After this we did an hour at tempo and boy was I hanging. to scared to open my mouth for fear of catching my tongue in the spokes I sucked it in and just sucked Omri and Oren's wheel. It took one of the three laps to recover but going at tempo you never really recover hundred percent. Great practice at the end of the day, reminds me of a thread i was reading:
Dutchman Theo de Rooy is sitting in the Panasonic team car after abandoning the 1985 Paris-Roubaix. He's covered in mud after spending a major portion of the race on the front, escaping in the Arenberg Forest. He's interviewed by American reporter John Tesh of CBS Sports...

de Rooy: “It’s a pile of sh!t, this race, it’s a whole pile of sh!t … you’re working like an animal, you don’t have the time to p!ss and you wet your pants … you’re riding in mud like this and you’re slipping and … it’s a pile of sh!t, you must clean yourself otherwise you will go mad …”

Tesh: "Willl you ever ride it again?"


de Rooy, not hesitating for a second: "Sure, it's the most beautiful race in the world!"

Well I wasn't racing but i felt the pain today. The good thing to come out of it was that I saw that I need to hang in there when I hit a bit of a tough patch. Normally I completely go off the boil to recover but I saw today that suffering does not kill you, well if it does at least its slowly.
Related Posts with Thumbnails