Thursday, October 28, 2010

Cinelli Leggerissimo

via Kevin
Me being a sucker for vintage bikes I came across quite by chance two different sources to this bike. One was the brilliant blog over at the Italian Cycling Journal. Angelo regularly comes up with some brilliant posts of the Italian flair and is well worth a read. The other was my trawling's of Flickr where I got in contact with Kevin who has kindly let me use his photo's.

via Kevin
According to Angelo these frames were produced for Brugelmann who was the biggest Cinelli dealership outside of Italy. The colour scheme was especially painted for Brugelmann in red and yellow.

via Kevin
Andrea Cinelli also reveal's a few secret's to Angelo about the bike: "You are correct that the frame is lighter as we drilled the lugs and the BB shell for lightening, and my father, based upon the close friendship with the owner of Columbus (Aldo Luigi Colombo), had had special lighter tubes made. In that period, the two avantgarde Italian factories (Cinelli and Columbus), in the application of avantgarde racing bicycle technology (high resistance steel alloys) had to contrast the myth and image of the English Reynolds tubing."

via Kevin
There are photo's up on other sites so just go take a look by following the references links at the bottom of the post. The Speedbicycles site has a really detailed collection of all the bits and bob's and you will then understand why I like this bike so much. They also have a collection of quite a few other gems that are worth a gander.

via Kevin
I really like the fork crown with it's double plate really makes this bike stand out. I have often thought about building a frame for myself but never had the courage to take the jump. I must say though if one day I do I would definitely come back to this beauty for pure and simple lines.

via Kevin

Bike Info:
Model: Leggerissimo
Year: 1970-76
Frame: Columbus, 55 cm, extra-light tubing, drilled BB
Hubs: Campagnolo NR
Rims: Fiamme
Tires: Clément Pistard
Crankset: Campagnolo NR, 50t
Handlebar: Cinelli
Stem: Cinelli
Pedals: Campagnolo NR
Seat Post: 26.2 mm Campagnolo NR
Saddle: Unicanitor

References:
Kevin on Flickr
Rembetis
Speed Cycles
Any information on this post or any stories you would like to share can be sent to me. Don't be shy, lets share the history of our great sport
Related Posts with Thumbnails