Saturday, October 25, 2008

The real McHoy

I'm tucking into a great book that really is getting me pumped for the season already. I'm not sure if I'm over doing it and not taking a complete break but the emotion that you feel from reading the development of a sport that is so close to home is fantastic. We're still in the doldrums here in Israel with regards to competition so reading "Heroes, Villains and Velodromes" by Richard Moore gives me hope for some sort of future for the sport over here.
I've just read about Chris Hoy's Olympic gold in Athens 2004 for the kilo. I know nothing about track cycling but reading this book has whet my appetite to try and see more of this gladiatorial cousin of ours.
The Ausie coach had sent into the British camp to spy and the report that came back was as follows: 'In the lead-up to the 2004 games we had reports from people who'd seen him [Chris Hoy] in training' says Barras, 'and I had people saying it was the most impressive thing they'd ever seen in their sporting careers. He would put in these sessions on the track, come off, puke his guts out, go back and do it again.'
If that doesn't send chills down your spine then watch this video as the top four placings in the kilo one for one destroy the Olympic and sea records. The Frenchman Tournant is the first ever to break the 61 second mark that is then smashed again by Hoy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails